Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Survivalist's Bookshelf

When it comes to preparing for disaster, almost everything you need to do/know/learn can be found online.  There may be a time, however, when power is not available, the internet is not available, and all of the information that you have so careful stored away in the cloud is unreachable.  This is why, even though nearly all of my survival-related stuff is online, I still have a stack of useful books in storage for use in the event that TSHTF and I need valuable survival information at my fingertips.  Here's some books that should be in your library:
That's a pretty long list but it hits all of the essential skills: how to find food, how to prepare food, how to preserve food, how to take care of medical emergencies, how to navigate, how to make shelter, and a multitude of other survival skills.

9 comments:

  1. I would recommend adding - Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why by Laurence Gonzales.

    Gives a lot of insight into how the brain works and responds to situations.

    Take Care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read BUG OUT by Scott Williams? Pretty good read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recommendations I will check those out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dont forget the 1991 FM-21-76 "SURVIVAL", an army field manual from the department of the army. Lots of good stuff there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dont fotget about FM 21-76, "SURVIVAL" put out by the Department of the Army. Its a field manual that has a *lot* of great information in it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. +1 on SAS Handbook - they make a pocket-sized version that will fit anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although I haven't written a book on the subject 'When Your Wife Can't Cook Dinner'... I have developed a handy acronym for this emergency survival situation in my home. We call this 'EMFH' a.k.a. (Every Man For Himself).

    Time to fire-up the microwave guys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another great Survival resource is this Survival Forum

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still have my Army manual, and that's pretty good for most stuff, but nothing beats Cody Lundin's "When All Hell Breaks Loose". Just cause I'm a girl doesn't mean I can't learn to be a boy scout! well... more like Lara Croft!

    ReplyDelete